By Lisa Schultz
Let’s face it: There are technology updates every second of every day and it’s hard to keep up. One of the latest innovations to hit the social media world is a new app called Periscope. It isn’t just another photo sharing app or a place to post your next status update, Periscope truly is a game-changer for both the social community and for real estate.
What is Periscope?
Periscope is a live streaming video app that’s available for use on both iOS and Android devices. The app was purchased by Twitter in March of this year. Periscope users can connect to their Twitter profiles and follow users from their Twitter account. When creating a video, users have the option of making the video completely open to the public or only viewable to certain users. When viewing a video, Periscopers can double tap their screen to send a heart to the broadcaster. There’s also a Most Loved List that shows the users who have received the most hearts during a live broadcast.
What separates Periscope from other social networks?
Periscope is a unique social network that is growing quickly. In just four months Periscope has grown to over 10 million accounts. The app uses live video to connect users around the world. The focus is on experiences that are happening right now. Periscope users can live-broadcast their life with others with just a simple click of a button. The ease and use of live video allows audience to connect via shared experiences. This is dramatically different than other social networks that focus more on past experiences. Photos and status updates are posted during or after the event, but do not have the ability to transport you to a new place and show you exactly what that experience is like as it’s happening. Periscope is also different from other networks because it allows users to have the ability to get real-time feedback and engage with viewers during the live broadcast.
Although Periscope is not the only live video streaming app on the market, it is one of the most powerful because of the connection to social networking veteran, Twitter. Before Periscope even launched, it was acquired by Twitter. This backing means a number of things for the app. Periscope integrates seamlessly with Twitter by allowing users to find their Twitter connections and follow them on Periscope. Periscope broadcasts are also pushed to Twitter, which allows even more viewers to find your stream from the Twitter website or app. This integration could be the extra boost you need to get your broadcast found by a new prospect.
How can I use Periscope as part of my marketing strategy?
Periscope is especially useful for connecting with your clients and prospects and building new relationships. Periscope allows you to build your own community of loyal viewers. This community is more likely to work with you for their future real estate needs because they will already feel like they know you. Ready to get started? Here are a few easy ways to use Periscope:
- Host a Q & A session. Everyone has questions about real estate. A question and answer segment will allow you to answer these pressing questions from viewers who tune into your Periscope broadcast. Plan a few questions to get started then continue your conversation based on the questions you receive from your viewers.
- Go behind the scenes. Giving your viewers a behind-the-scenes stream is a great way to build trust. Viewers get a sneak peek into your daily life which can also make you more relatable.
- Showcase communities you serve. Do a walking tour around local neighborhoods. Point out your favorite shops, restaurants, and service providers. Give viewers a day in the life in the community they may soon call home.
- Sell a lifestyle. We all know real estate is about more than selling houses, use Periscope to sell the lifestyle. For example, if you’re selling a luxury home with harbor access, broadcast directly from the pier, harbor, or even on a boat.
- Broadcast your events. If you host events, Periscope can bring your gathering to an even larger audience. This can be used during an open house or even during a seminar you’re teaching.
- Give an exclusive preview. You can use Periscope as a way to show certain contacts, or your whole followers list, a preview of a home before an open house or before a showing. Do a brief tour and point out things you’d like to show them when they come see the home in person.
- Create a regularly scheduled show. Whether it’s daily or once a week, you can host your own mini-show about a variety of real estate topics. At the end of the show, promote your website as a place where viewers can go to find out more information.
- Repurpose other content. If you have produced other content in the past, Periscope is the perfect place to give it new life. Go into greater detail on a blog post you wrote or talk about a guide you’ve recently produced. Periscope can be your home for bonus material.
Because Periscope is a newer social network, right now it’s all about experimenting to find out what works for you. However, like other social networks, the key to building an audience is to post consistently high-quality content
LISA SCHULTZ is the content marketing specialist for Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices California Properties in San Diego, CA. To contact Lisa, email email@example.com.
Respond to Why Periscope Is Perfect for Your Business